Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Treasure Hunt????



As you know, I accomplished cleaning out the linen closet yesterday. I thought it was going to be a big undertaking but it proved to use up very little of my life. I lined up 3 boxes marked, Marcy, Karlee, Laycee and a trash can. I did my best to try to figure out what belonged to who, and tossed all kinds of things into the boxes. I did have trash as well. I was able to consolidate several hand sanitizers into one as well as rubbing alcohol and liquid soaps. I found 12 ink pens???? Why are ink pens in my linen closet, that one stumps me. The mother load was hair brushes. Between cleaning out Marcy's room before the holidays and the linen closet I found 27 HAIRBRUSHES!!!! Not even the Duggars need 27 hairbrushes. (disclaimer, I don't watch their show, just have heard about them) Surprise girls, you each get 8! Keeping a few for myself! 7 pairs of tweezers, 6 boxes that were empty, and a partridge in a pear tree, just kidding! Clearing out that clutter led me under the bathroom sink as well as 2 shelves in my kitchen where I keep misc. meds, band aids, etc. I could have continued on to a few other places, but didn't want to ruin the fun!! Remember baby steps!




If you have decided your bedroom closet needs attention, before you tackle that one I have a suggestion. Last year I read the book "Dressed and out the door in 5 minutes or Less" It is an easy read and full of many helpful hints. I didn't follow it to the T, because it wasn't something that would work for me, but it did provide insight to my shopping habits and how to organize my closet. I found it very helpful. Check out www.dressedin5.com Last fall, when I was trying to put my clothes away, I became very frustrated because it was impossible to squeeze another item into my closet. I decided that was the day I would purge! Keeping in mind what I learned in the book, I gathered all the plastic hangers around the house. This proved to be huge. They all line up perfectly on the rod and I no longer wrestle with the hangers trying to remove something from the closet. It also helped me sort through my clothes and let go of some of the clothing I was hanging onto for emotional reasons.....My grandmother died a few months after Jaime was born and I was having a hard time parting with the suit I wore to her funeral...wore it twice in 27 years....It's gone! Hoping to move to a warmer climate , I donated 90% of my sweaters. I am now freezing my butt off, but I have lots of room in my closet!:) I kept doing that mental exercise where if you visualize long enough it will happen. Well laying on the beach with a sweater was not what I was looking for so ....bye bye sweaters! So much for that theory. So before you tackle the closet, read the book! The author is my neighbor so buy one!






No comments:

Post a Comment