Tuesday, January 26, 2010

But I need it…. I really do!


I must share with you an interview I saw several years ago about a woman who decided that she would not, for 1 year, buy anything that she did not NEED to survive. I was very intrigued by this, but I never did buy her book to see how she did it. As usual, my mind wrapped itself around this concept and I began to really think about everything I bought. Do I need it, or do I want it. Most of the time if I had to ask myself that question, it was a want! Sometimes, I bought it anyway; many times I put it back on the shelf. I think at that point I was realizing that I had way too much stuff, and to bring anymore into my home was really making it harder for me to purge. I began to think about when we were young and we had 1 winter coat, 1 pair of boots, 1 bathing suit, and a new pair of jeans maybe 3 times a year. Our house only held one cooler tucked away in the garage, not 6 (a large one for the boat, one for fishing, a small six packer, one on wheels, one attached to a grill (we have 4 grills), and one someone left behind and we adopted. I could go through the garage and repeat that same scenario for most of the stuff in there, and I think you could too. The only thing that is not stored in my garage is our cars….no room.
As some of you know I have a weakness, the $1.00 store. I NEED everything they have to offer! The thrill of the hunt! I now have a new store that is slowly becoming an addiction….The Christmas Tree Shop. I am having a hard time staying away! My car is on automatic pilot, a mind of its own! I am trying to be good, and I am thinking 2 and 3 times before I put it in my cart, but I just cannot resist! I am going to have to work on that, because I can see where it can become a real problem. I might need a 12 step program for this one! But getting back to the moral of my rantings…. if we think more about what we need, than what we want, we can save some money. Buying things only when we need them and not anticipating that we will, can help us curb the frivolous spending that we all do. I don’t know that it is a challenge I could do for a year, but I think it is worth putting some of the ideas in our heads and seeing how much we could save. I’m in, how about you? P.S. Wine is not a Need! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment