Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Little things go a long way


Just want to share a few things that I have been doing that make my life easier, I hope they will help you as well.

1. I have done this for years, I always make my bed in the morning. It literally take me about 30 seconds and it makes such a difference.

2. Trying to go through the mail daily so it doesn't pile up. As soon as I bring it in I discard all the junk mail and file the bills. I have fewer paper bills since most of them I pay on line. If you don't participate in bill paying on line, I highly recommend it. Saves money on stamps, paper checks, and time it takes to get there. They can no longer say it arrived late in the mail.

3. As I talked about yesterday, I put the laundry away as soon as it comes out of the dryer. This had eluded me for years, I always had a basement full of clean clothes and more times than not, if you wanted something you had to venture down there to find it.

4. For everything I buy, I am trying to make 5 unwanted things leave my house. I have a clothes basket in the basement that I am putting clothes in for charity and when it fills up, I call for a pick up. Other items, I try to go through and put aside for recycling or trash if broken or unusable. 1 in 5 out is a good rule.

5. Don't read the Sunday Paper inserts. What you don't know won't hurt you. I use to thumb through the circulars and find oodles of things I wanted and didn't need. That would send me off to Target, Kohls, etc. for the one thing I couldn't live without, only to buy 3 more things I really didn't need, but they were on sale and I was saving money. Target isn't a weekly stop anymore. Really don't miss it. Plus I now read the paper on line so the newspaper doesn't pile up anymore.

6. I keep the living room coffee table clean. It use to pile up with "stuff" Magazines (which will be #7) reading glasses, nail file, etc. Now I try to have it cleared off every evening and it just makes things feel better. Weird but true.

7. This is a new rule I imposed on myself over the last few months. It is very easy for magazines to stack up with no where to go. I bought a cheap magazine rack at the Christmas Tree Shop and I keep them in it until the next one arrives. I figure if I haven't read it completely within the 30 days between arrivals then I won't. So when the new one comes in, the old one goes out. I try to share with friends or give to my friend who takes them to her waiting room for others to enjoy.

8. Wipe down the bath sink and mirror 2x a day. I keep a role of paper towels and cleaner underneath the sink, and since I am the last one to use the bathroom both in the morning and evening, I do a quick wipe down and a clean mirror and water spot free faucet makes a difference.

9. Unload the dishwasher as soon as it is done. This helps keep dirty dishes out of the sink. Unless a pot has to soak, no dishes in the sink overnight. My friend Joyce taught me this one. Waking up to a clutter free sink in the morning feels good.

10. I put a little basket next to my microwave. Anytime I come across something that needs to go live with it's owner (ie- Marcy, Karlee or Laycee) I put it in the basket and when they come over, they look through it and take their stuff home. This works well with mail, jewelry, pictures, what ever I find laying around.

Well those are my top ten for now. Have a great day...the sun is suppose to shine today.

No comments:

Post a Comment