Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A better life

As most of you know, we have a new addition to our family. Lizzie arrived from her foster mother last week. She is adapting really well, and we are adapting to her. Les was out of town when she arrived, but didn't miss a beat welcoming her. They are officially buddies now! They play fetch, she plays with the "Claw" (his hand) and she curls up on his belly for a nap. Tiki accepted her without much fanfare. He even surprised us by sharing his toys.  She is learning to walk on a leash.. a challenge but she is getting there.  Other than that, life is good for Lizzie Poo!

Poor little Lizzie came from Grand Rapids, where she roamed the streets. Not sure how a dog gets to that point? She is much to socialized to have been born in the wild. She loves people and it shows. As the story goes, she was in the shelter for her allotted time and no one wanted to adopt her. She was scheduled to be euthanized when one of the shelter workers called her foster mother and asked if she would take her. Andrea said yes and Lizzie traveled from Grand Rapids to Shelby Township and was granted a new life. Andrea and her roommate Mara, remind me of my own children. 2 - twenty something girls who love animals and take in strays and even keep some of them. They both work at Petco, as a trainer and groomer. I am surprised Lizzie wasn't a permanent guest in their home, but I think with the brood of their own, they decided they were maxed out. Thus, Lizzies photo made its way on the internet. Where my twenty something daughter saw it and sent it my way. Well, that was it! Her adorable face and 2 different eye colors captured my heart. The wheels were set in motion and Andrea decided by my application that she may have found the perfect home for Lizzie.

It's been a interesting life so far for this little girl, but it breaks my heart to see the photo of her when she arrived at the shelter, and what must have been going through her head. She seems well adjusted now and is grateful for the bowl of food that sits on the kitchen floor. Adopting a shelter/rescue animal is very satisfying and I highly recommend it if you have room and time for one.

Laycee sent a link to me the other day. It was pictures of animals at the Oakland County Animal Shelter. She has a photography class and that was one of her assignments. The sadness in the eyes of the animals is devastating. I want to bring them all home! Hmmmm, maybe my kids come by it naturally. But let’s face it, any human being that isn't touched by their plight, just isn't human!

Take a look at some of her pictures....  http://oudigphoto.ning.com/profile/layceeschmidtke?xg_source=msg_share_url

And take a look at Lizzie on the day she arrived at the shelter, and the day after she arrived at her new forever home. A fabulous life includes a pet!

1 comment:

  1. Love my little Lizzie!!! :o) Oh and I am making a book out of those pictures so I can spread the word about adoption so if anyone wants one I can make an extra copy :o)

    ReplyDelete