Friday, April 23, 2010

Why?

I have stumbled upon this more than once in the last couple of days, so I am inclined to think that I must watch it. I don't want to, because these things disturb me, but I think in order for me to change for good I am going to have to.  Ignorance sometimes is bliss. 


Since my daughter became a vegetarian, I began to think about the whole idea a lot more. I had other experiences that have also made me think very hard about eating meat. It is very easy to dismiss the whole idea of where it comes from when you purchase it from a grocery store. Neatly packaged without much resemblance to what it once was. But over the years I have questioned why? Traveling down the expressway and seeing a semi truck full of pigs on their way to market, just leaves me with a pit in my stomach. How did man start eating animals and why??? The earth had produced vegetables and fruits so why? It seems wrong to me and I have said many times it would not take much for me to become a vegetarian. A couple of years ago while in Florida we stumbled across a Vegan restaurant and it was fabulous. We make it a point to eat their at least once when we are vacationing. My Easter dinner this year was Vegetarian and everyone enjoyed it.  So why not?

When we brought animals into the corn maze I really began to question it as well as cut back on eating meat. Every day I would play with the chickens, goats, sheep and Holston the cow. Looking into their eyes I saw creatures that needed love and affection. Believe it or not, Lucy my favorite red hen, loved to be held and her head scratched.  Denise promised me they lived happily ever after on her friends farm and I believe her! :O  These were creatures with a soul and life, how does man get to that point that he wants to kill and eat them?  I don't know how kids raise animals for 4H...thank goodness I didn't grow up a farm girl, I would have never made it.

I had an interesting conversation just this past weekend while at a friend’s house for dinner, I asked why we had to eat meat? Can't we just take supplements?   Enjoying a meal with people in the medical profession they stated our bodies needed protein from the animals to function properly. I felt our bodies have evolved into needing this, and if way back when, if we would have concentrated on eating plant life we may have not been dependant on that aspect of nourishing our bodies. Can we change and move toward fruits, nuts and vegetables that don't have feelings and eyes that can look back at you? I don't belong to PETA nor do I plan to, but I think it's just a human emotion to care about other living breathing feeling things. Except spiders!

Well, a documentary called Food, Inc. has been out and is now being shown on PBS. I need to see it so it will make me change my ways, but just like a horror movie, I can't watch with my hands covering my eyes and terror in my heart. Have we gotten so lazy that we cannot get back to good wholesome food. Makes you think! I think we all need to see this movie. Someone once told me that the Bible states we can do what we want with animals ("the rest of physical creation") I question that....

1 comment:

  1. Humans do not need meat. I do not get why some doctors think that way. I can give you a bunch of good veggie meals that are quick and easy that even I can make. lol
    -M

    ReplyDelete