Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Spring makes everything look filthy

With Les away this week, I am trying to get crackin on the Spring cleaning. There are a few areas, no let me rephrase that, my whole house needs to be attended to. I tried to do a little inventory on what needs to be done in each room and was overwhelmed. So, I just need to look at one room at a time and see if I can get that accomplished. Of course, I want to do the max in each room, but really I only need to do a few things to get it under control. I have a few idea's that have helped me in the past and a few that are going to help me get things orderly.
I am going to change over my shoes, digging the summer shoes out of the back of the closet and cleaning up the boots and rotating them for hibernation. Good riddance Winter. I hang a shoe organizer on the door. In the winter it holds gloves, scarves, hats etc. for easy access. I used to hate digging through a box looking those items. In the summer I fill them full of my flip flops, and other casual summer shoes. They all live with their mates in a neat clear plastic pocket. Makes my life easier.....


My silverware drawer has always been a mess. Too many forks to fit in those silverware organizers. I found if you put those plastic baskets in the drawer they will hold the abundance of forks, knives and spoons. Three of them fitted nicely accomplishes that.

With all the fun jewelry out there, I am finding it's easy to lose the earrings from the missing bracelet so I have organized my jewelry by buying those boxes that are reserved for cross stitching thread. I bought the configurations that would fit into my drawer, you can double up for 2 layers, just make sure the top layer has one less so you can slide them around to view the bottom. I took the lids off and layed them in the drawer. You can fill them up with earrings and put the matching necklace and bracelets next to them and their they all are, no digging around tangling everything up. One box can hold your silver stuff for mixing and matching and another for gold. That is if you haven't turned it all in for cash yet -ha-ha. I find I wear more of it because I can see what I have.

I am using the old cardboard cases that the wine comes in for my glasses. Since I have a addiction to tableware, I was having a hard time storing my glassware. Wine glasses fit perfectly in the slots and I can stack them without fear of breaking them and they are easy to transport with the handles. I also found I could store my plates in milk crates with cheap paper plates between them to protect them. With the literally hundreds of plates I have, this has come in really handy. I can see the one I want without opening a box to find out what is in it.

I also use clear plastic shoe boxes for my napkins and table cloths. They stack well and you can see them, again without opening.

Happy Spring.



Fun Stuff-

If you have not been into Zara's in Wyandotte, take the time to check out the wonderful things they have. They have a line of jewelry, I think it is called Pickup Sticks. Very cool. And the original artwork by Diana is awesome. Lots of talented people have their wares for sale.



Key West! If you have not been to Key West on the corner of Northline and Telegraph, pick a beautiful evening, preferably one when they have entertainment, and sit outside and enjoy the music and food. One of my favorite places to eat outside. We just don't have that many in Michigan.



Mississippi Bayou is another great place to go. The atmosphere is lacking but the bargains are unbelievable. Check out Thursday's special (join email to get all the specials) you can get a 1/4 slab of ribs, cheesy potatoes and Cole slaw for only $3.95. Their rolls right out of the oven are awesome! Taco night is another too good to be true bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment