Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday morning daydreaming

Nothing more depressing then waking up to a Monday morning rain. The weekend was pretty much a wash out for doing fun things so extending it into Monday is like pouring salt in the wound. I have ideas, darn it, there has been a drought in creativity lately. Finally, my little brain has conjured up how I want my yard to look, and I am ready to roll up my sleeves and attempt to attain the vision. The weather is stopping me and I fear I will lose my new found energy. A visit last week to Somerset (which I have only been to probably 4 times in my life, poor deprived child) was very inspirational. Strolling through Pottery Barn made me think about summer dinner parties soaking up the evening sun and relaxing under the canopy of the tent that has become my outdoor living room. Checking out Restoration Hardware too and seeing items that resembled things I have admired at the Christmas Tree Shop. For my Champagne taste, the CTS can accommodated my beer budget! I wondered through Anthropologie, which is one of my favorite stores that I visit on my trips to Florida. I always find just the perfect gift there. Something so wonderful but so overpriced. I can justify buying a gift there, but nothing for myself. I have a wedding shower coming up so the budget was blown on a charming gift that you wouldn't ordinary spend half as much money on. But that is the joy of a gift! Anyway, after strolling through the mall my mind began to work overtime. All the things that would whip my yard into shape and make it an oasis to enjoy all summer long. Well, the ride home took a detour and I ended up on the corner of Eureka and Telegraph! There I bought all the things I had thought about over the past couple of months but passed up because I didn’t need them. Well now I do! I spent almost 2 hours carefully creating the vision in my mind and filling my cart. I had decided that I needed this stuff! I walked out spending about $70.00 but in the end, as my mind would rationalize, I saved hundreds of dollars if I would have picked these items up at Somerset. This is where I get my high. I brought each item home and unpacked them with great joy. I hung the lanterns in my “outdoor living room” just waiting for the sun to go down so I could light the candles and see if it was just as I pictured it in my mind. I am realizing that as much as I try to hate my house and all the issues it has, I love it for its special little quirks and charming features. It took Somerset to make me realize that there is" no place like home"  So I have to embrace the peeling paint and worn look and rephrase that into taking much care and time to create a look called Shabby Chic. I have a list of items I want to hunt for at garage sales to complete the look and the hunt as they say, is the real fun. I’m making a my list….of things I can’t live without.  So put on your Ruby slippers and be thankful for the roof over your head, leaking or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment