Monday, July 26, 2010

I spy with my little eyes.....

Fish Town, my favorite new place- want to live in one of those shacks one Summer.

Still have vacation hangover. It was a whirlwind of taking in the places I had never been before. Wasn't sure if I would ever be back and wanted to make sure I took in everything I could. Like I said before, it really was a visual vacation. When you are on a motorcycle you don't have the distractions of the other people in the vehicle and you tend to scan your surroundings quickly and intensely because, you are not stopping you are just passing through. I felt I had never traveled this way before. When I returned home I asked my Dad if we traveled North much when we were younger. I vaguely remember Mackinaw. The ferry ride, horse and buggies and fudge are a fuzzy memory. He confirmed we had been up there maybe once or twice. We were a family that went South. Which was fine with me, because you all know my obsession with the warm weather and my distain for cold. He matter of factly said we didn't go "Up North" because there was nothing up there. "Dude" I exclaimed..."you need to take a road trip" I am going to make him a list of the wonderful places we visited and make him go. He is 75 and he needs to go!  Maybe he needs a tour guide :)


When I see a friend I am always asking - Have you been here or there???? Most have. I feel maybe I missed something in my youth yet I do think I appreciated it much more at this age. No distractions.... I'm sure in my youth I would have been fighting with my 2 sisters in the back seat of the car. Caring less about the quaint towns, architecture, natural beauty. I do know this.... I must take my "grown" children on an adventure to Mackinaw, they have not been there. One of those things every Michigander should do! Humm.... a bucket list entry for sure.

1 comment:

  1. You found my "special place". My family has been staying at Falling Waters Lodge (on the dam in Fishtown) every summer since I was a kid. I still can't get enough. I should've known you'd love it too!! XOXO Tracey

    ReplyDelete