Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Home sweet home.....

 
 
Today was the day! I returned the big red box to Sarah's mother. I got up the courage to dial the phone, then playing my speech in my mind, I hesitated before I pushed the call button. Then an incoming call saved me. Ahhh, a reprieve. Only a few minutes, but a much needed few minutes.


I'm usually not at a loss for words, but as my horoscope said today-

You will soon be giving an important gift. The thought you put into it now will make all the difference. Keep the explanation simple.


My phone call was over and Sarah’s parents phone number was still sitting there on my phone waiting for me to push the button. No details needed I told myself, just enough. I pushed the button. It began to ring and my mind and heart were racing. I don't know why I was so nervous, other than I didn't know what to expect. A cheerful woman answered the phone, "Is this Mrs. ______?" I asked. "Yes" she replied. Very simply I said, "My name is Shelley and I was paid to clean out a storage garage. In that garage I came across some things that belonged to your daughter, Sarah, and I would like to return them to you?" sigh.... Short and simple I thought, I made it through it without any hesitation, rehearsed over and over, you bet!

"Ok, I have to go out and get some cat food and run some errands, I won't be home so you can just put it on the front porch. My husband will be home," she said in the same cheerful voice.

"should I knock and let your husband know I'm putting it on the porch?"

"No, that's ok, you can just leave it there. Do you know what house it is?"

"Yes, I have your address. I will leave it on the porch, ok bye......."

No questions to answer, nothing. How easy was that? My agonizing was for nothing. I guess there is a lesson here, don't worry until you have something to worry about. Relief- I've done what I needed to do. Is the last chapter written, I don't know. What I do know is I have completed my mission, and I am at peace with big red box being home with her mother. I may never know the final chapter for it doesn't include me, and that’s ok!  I wish for a happy ending.
Thank you Sarah! You have helped me more than you know. Now back to my life. I confess, I kept something of Sarah’s that sits in my kitchen and when I look at it, it reminds me of her. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment