Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Not a Happy Camper

Ahhh, I have been dreaming for years about a vintage trailer. It all started when my husband’s grandmother died and there in her yard sat an old trailer. I thought it would be a great doll house for my then young daughters. We could make it into a fort for "girls only" - frilly, comfy, girly - I dreamt. Well, I convinced Les to check it out. Hole in the roof, rotted tires....wasn't something he wanted to haul home. Still dreaming.....

Several years later a friend of mine traveled south to pick up her Scotty! She bought it on ebay and she rolled up her sleeves and made it into a super sweet little get away. There it sits in her back yard doubling as retro bar. I'm jealous!
My little dream still floating in the back of my silly little brain. Over the years I would scan ebay, or check out Craig’s list, hoping I could find something that would fit my meager budget. In July as we traveled the back roads of the north, my eyes wandered into the back yards of junk filled acreage hoping I would spot a little treasure. That fueled my hope of someday owning my own.
Bingo! Several weeks ago I came across just what I was looking for. Towanda was eager to sell her father’s camper. He had owned it for 30 years and kept pretty good care of it. After several emails back and forth with her, I was pretty sure the $650.00 price tag could be negotiated and I might have finally found the vintage trailer I was pining for. A project that I could get excited over. Well, as you can imagine, it went over like a lead balloon with Les. No go. So over the next couple of weeks I let him know how cute it would become and how excited I was that I could probably pick it up for about $500.00. Finally, he gave in, but said I was on my own with this one.
Ahhhhhh, my mind was filled with all the possibilities on how my own little vintage trailer would look. I quickly retrieved the email from Towanda and found out she had reduced the price to $450.00 and wanted it out of her driveway pronto. My lucky day! My fingers typed as fast as I could - clicking on the send button -I begged Towanda to please tell me it was still available. Days went by and no response to my numerous pathetic requests. I thought maybe she was ignoring me because I didn't jump at it when I first inquired. Then I sent someone else to snoop around and find out if it was still waiting for me to come get it......no response either. My heart was broken. My 15 plus year search is back to square one.  Oh well, I am still hoping to become trailer trash one day. I feel it, it will happen :)

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure we aren't twins?? We always seem to love the very same things! I, too, dream of owning a little trailer. There seem to be a lot of us out there these days (which isn't helping us find them so cheap anymore) this is a fun little book: http://www.amazon.com/Sisters-Fly-Caravans-Campfires-Tales/dp/0740791311/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285452609&sr=1-1

    It just figures that MaryJane Butters is a member of the Sisters on the Fly ... and has her own little tear drop trailer (not to mention some very pricey new ones that she sells on her web site!!)

    'Wha da ya' say someday we drag our little trailers up to Fishtown for a visit and we can even do a little "curb-side recycling" on the way??

    Are you sure we weren't somehow separated at birth?? ;-) XOXO, Tracey

    ReplyDelete