Friday, October 15, 2010

250 feet above the ground, 1500 foot of cable and 45 miles per hour....oh my

That's me!

Hello! Been absent in more ways than one. lol. Took a trip to Gatlinburg last weekend. The weather was summerlike and we had a great time. I was forced kicking and screaming to be a daredevil. I am not a extreme thrill seeker so this was way, way, way outside my comfort zone. I never understood the rush people experienced from being terrified. Not in my genes. Cedar Point- that's me sitting on the bench keeping watch over everyone’s stuff while they ride the Mean Streak. Happy to do it!


So when it was suggested that we ride a zip line, my response was, happy to sit it out and watch everyone’s stuff.

As we took the drive way out to Foxfire mountain, I wasn't planning on taking part. When we arrived at the cute little base camp we were greeted by a handful of people who had just completed their journey through the mountain. An mature couple emerged from the final landing and I casually made conversation with them to see how much "fun" they had. A 65 year old woman proudly told me her age and that she was just like me....not a thrill seeker and a fraidy cat. She wasn't going either. Her family talked her into it and she declared that it was difficult for her in the beginning but that she was so glad she went and it was a great experience in the end. Hmmmm, 65 year old and my 75 year old dad who was going for the 2nd time....maybe I could survive and I might enjoy it. I was doubtful, but the pressure I was receiving from my family pushed me to suit up in the harness, put on my helmet and don the leather gloves that were riddled with holes and were to be my breaking system. I began to sweat! Profusely!

Ok, the first of 6 lines, were pretty tame in the scope of things. It took everything I had and about 5 minutes to get the courage to jump off the first one. The terror began..... my instincts were to close my eyes and scream. Which I did! That was the theme for all 6 of them. Scream I did, I couldn't help it, it just came out no matter how hard I tried not to. My voice echoed throughout Foxfire mountain, they let me know they could hear me at base camp! Not sure that was good for business! Anyway, I can't really tell you how it was, because I don't remember much of it. I screamed every time I jumped and I screamed as I watched the other people in my group jump. My eyes were closed most of the time so I only felt the freefall sensation, I didn't see too much of it. Our guide declared I was the most vocal of all the people he has encountered. Surprise you...probably not. As I walked off the last platform and finally touched the ground I became a Warrior!!! I did it! Would I go back?.....NEVER, but I will wait for you at base camp and watch over your stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment